« Previous issue July 26, 2011 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Writing Clocks in Fiction

My teacher this semester has a particular fondness for studying the use of time in fiction. It's a fascinating subject and she's opened my eyes on a number of techniques writers use to pass the time, such as the use of many many different writing clocks. In fiction, there are myriad ways to illustrate the passage of time and to give readers clues of how much time has gone by. It's useful to know about these writing clocks so that you can make use of them yourself. And it's important to show the passage of time in a story so that your readers can feel oriented and in the moment, following the motion and pace of your story instead of getting left behind. (Read more »)

Subscribe To Teen Ink!

The perfect gift

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Wishing for Amnesia

Fiction

I Should Switch to Decaf

Celebrity Interview

Roller Derby

Opinion

Sleep or School? Why Must We Choose?

What Did You Think?

Now that the much-beloved Harry Potter series is finished both in print and onscreen, fans are looking back on their experiences growing up with Harry. Are you a fan? What did you think of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, the final film? We will feature this movie in our reviews section in September, so send in your reviews before August 15!
http://www.teenink.com/submit

This Week's Most Popular Computer Graphics

Diamonds aren't a girls only best friend
Broken Glass
01022010

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs