« Previous issue May 24, 2011 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Do Your Research

The writers of non-fiction already know: getting your facts straight is at least half the battle. But other writers may not know that it's true for fiction as well. Research is the less glamorous side of novel and story-writing, but it's an essential step, not just for satisfying that one nit-picking reader out there who knows the difference between sorrel and chestnut horses, but also for narrative richness.

Here are a few reasons why getting your facts straight is crucial. (Read more »)

Subscribe To Teen Ink!

The perfect gift

Introducing TeenLife!

We'd like to introduce Teen Ink readers to TeenLife.com! Our award-winning site features thousands of listings and resources in a range of categories including summer programs, gap year programs, college admissions - even how to find a job!

Are you a writer? Tell us about meaningful summer programs you have attended or jobs/volunteer positions you have held. Your experiences can reach, inform, and inspire thousands of your peers! We can also assign interviews or topics to you. Your work could be published in our newsletter, on our site, in our printed and online guides, or in our blog.

Interested in writing for TeenLife? Just tell us a little bit about yourself! We will get back to you with more details. You must be currently enrolled in middle school or high school, or taking a gap year, to participate.

And if you're not already a member, join now, it's free!
It's never too late to plan for the future. Sign up to get our e-newsletter filled with real-life student voices, special offers, and more.
https://www.teenlife.com/page/TeenLife_TeenInk

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Beauty is the Beast

Fiction

P.S. Don't Save Me

Travel & Culture

Christmas in India

Opinion

Twilight on Equality

This Week's Most Popular Oil Paintings

DOM'S IN SPACE
Ganesha
A Place To Reflect On Life

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs