« Previous issue May 17, 2011 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

A Writer's Tools

Every writer has a certain number of tools under his or her command. In his lovely book On Writing, Stephen King called this "the writer's tool box." While every writer has different strengths and weaknesses, with a few extra sharp skills or techniques they'd rather avoid, all writers have the same few tools that we need to use. These tools are your friends! With the tools of voice, style, and observation, you can make your writing have the authority and professionalism of your favorite fiction. (Read more »)

Subscribe To Teen Ink!

The perfect gift

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

American Dream

Fiction

Juarez at War

Sports

Basketball is my Favorite Sport

Celebrities/Entertainment

Celebrities and Their Influence

Introducing TeenLife!

We'd like to introduce Teen Ink readers to TeenLife.com! Our award-winning site features thousands of listings and resources in a range of categories including summer programs, gap year programs, college admissions - even how to find a job!

Are you a writer? Tell us about meaningful summer programs you have attended or jobs/volunteer positions you have held. Your experiences can reach, inform, and inspire thousands of your peers! We can also assign interviews or topics to you. Your work could be published in our newsletter, on our site, in our printed and online guides, or in our blog.

Interested in writing for TeenLife? Just tell us a little bit about yourself! We will get back to you with more details. You must be currently enrolled in middle school or high school, or taking a gap year, to participate.

And if you're not already a member, join now, it's free!
It's never too late to plan for the future. Sign up to get our e-newsletter filled with real-life student voices, special offers, and more.
https://www.teenlife.com/page/TeenLife_TeenInk

This Week's Most Popular Pastels

Family Portrait
the violinist's nirvana
Swimming With The Fishes

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs