« Previous issue January 25, 2011 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Blend Art and Fiction with Graphic Novels

Your parents and teachers may have led you to believe that comics are for kids, or that they don't have artistic merit. You may have heard that they're a waste of time, or are only the same old stories about superheroes. In fact, the world of graphic novels is a thriving and literary world, full of great stories and artwork. If you like drawing and writing, you can try creating your own graphic novel. Graphic novels can often be serious, thought-provoking, and controversial. They can challenge society, present us with startling truths, or just capture real life. The advantage of graphic novel writing is that where words fail, images can complement and enrich the story. Check out these books that have used drawings and imagery to make their writing come to life! (Read more »)

Subscribe To Teen Ink!

The perfect gift

This Week's Most Popular Articles

Free Verse

Gravity

Fiction

A Teenage Love Story 2

Nonfiction

Hopelessly Addicted

Health

Turner Syndrome

Get Published!

Teen Ink has many special opportunities for writers right now! Take advantage of this opportunity now and you could get published in the print magazine, make some extra spending money, or get a cash gift for your favorite charity. Check out all these opportunities today and then submit your work to us.
http://www.teenink.com/submit

This Week's Most Popular Photos

Breaking free
Beauty Before Beast
String Of Pearls

View more
images »

Submit my
own work »

Browse the Teen Ink Website Written by teens

Poetry

Fiction

Nonfiction

Hot Topics

Health

Environment

Forums

Opinion

Book Reviews

Art / Photos

College Reviews

Summer Programs