« Previous issue July 30, 2010 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

The Daring Bakers' Challenge

Here's something we all know: Teen Inkers are creative. You write stories, take pictures, draw, paint, and submit hundreds of poems every day! Teen Ink's nonfiction section tells us even more about what you do: you act, play sports or instruments, sing, run, read, and volunteer in your communities. All of these are great creative outlets that we love to read about at the Teen Ink headquarters. But there's one kind of creativity that I keep wishing we'd hear about from more teens: cooking.

Of course, learning to cook can seem like an overwhelming task. A quick peek at the cooking section of your local bookstore is enough to make you feel as if you'll never know where to start.

If you've been following Extra Ink for a while, you know I've written a few articles about learning to cook for yourself. If you've gotten past the scrambled eggs phase, but you're not sure where to go to learn more in a supportive environment, I have the perfect place for you: the Daring Bakers' Challenge. It's an online forum for amateur cooks all over the world. They each take on the same, seemingly-difficult recipe every month, work through it together, help each other with problems, and post pictures of their successes. It's so fun to partake, and almost as fun just to look at the mouth-watering pictures. These recipes may look scary, but with the help of fellow cooks in the forums you'll be whipping up French macarons and Vietnamese pho in no time at all. And write something about your experience for our nonfiction section! After all, the only thing more delicious than a gourmet meal you made yourself is seeing your name in print in Teen Ink.