« Previous issue July 25, 2010 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Girls Rock, Too

Ten years ago, my cool aunt visited our family with even cooler-than-usual stories. She told us about a huge concert she'd been to, a day-long festival featuring tons of rock stars and still more tons of enthusiastic fans: the Lilith Fair. The most interesting thing about my aunt's story, to me, was that all the musicians were women. All my parents' rock albums were by male artists, so the thought of a female rock star was pretty awesome to me. And now we all have the chance to experience the concert our cool aunts did ten years ago: Lilith Fair is back.

The tour has already started, so you'll have to check on the Lilith Fair website to see if a concert's still coming up in your area. But even if you missed the Lilith Fair this time around, you can still check out great girl rockers. Find other concerts in your area, especially ones featuring local or unsigned bands. Those groups love your support, and small, nearby venues mean your parents might be more likely to let you attend.

Of course, the best way to get involved in the music scene is to start rocking yourself. Girls age 8-18 can enroll in summer or year-long programs at the Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls, based in Portland, Oregon, and learn guitar, drumming, keyboard, singing, or DJ skills. The camp even has an associated label, 16 records. If you're tired of the same-old summer camp every year, the Rock 'n' Roll Camp for Girls might be just the place for you.

Whether you're heading to a concert like the Lilith Fair or starting your own band, just remember that girls and guys rock equally hard. There's no need to keep them separate, either--write to us about your co-ed rock band! We'd love to see something like that in our print magazine...hint, hint.