« Previous issue April 19, 2010 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

MeritAid

This Extra Ink was written by Betsy C.

Choosing a college is a totally scary process--it's an important decision that will play a big part in your life for the next four years (and afterwards, too.) But one factor can narrow a student's options more than any other: cost. Colleges, especially American colleges, are becoming more and more expensive each year, and the economy is far from booming.

The goal of MeritAid.com is to make financing an education at the college of your choice as easy as possible. Merit Aid provides a large online database of merit-based scholarships available from many different colleges. Their scholarship listings total over $11 billion!

According to the site, lots of students receive merit-based financial aid every year--the average merit-based scholarship totals about $5,000. Lots of colleges offer merit-based aid, but they don't widely advertise it. Luckily, Merit Aid has done the work for you! You can search by college name if you have a specific school in mind, but you can also "let the colleges come to you" and give your contact information so that schools will know you want to apply for merit-based aid.

Don't worry if you're not a straight-A student; you know you've still got merit, and believe it or not, colleges do too! According to Merit Aid, "many merit scholarships from colleges require only a 2.0 GPA - or lower - to qualify and are awarded for accomplishments in leadership and school and community involvement."

Teen Ink is all about looking at students' accomplishments above and beyond the number on the report card, and it's good to see that students can be rewarded for hard work that doesn't necessarily appear on a test score. MeritAid.com might provide just the boost you need to be able to afford that dream college whose brochures you've been rereading for months. So get out there, apply for aid--and remember to send in your applications on time!

Remember to check out Teen Ink on Twitter, FaceBook, MySpace and BeBo. You'll be alerted about the latest contest, get tips on publishing and chat with our editorial staff. Come on in--the social networking water's fine!

Do you know what's up at teenink.com? We're getting ready to add some great new features. Make sure to check us out often!

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________