« Previous issue March 17, 2010 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Spring Break Boredom Busters

This Extra Ink was written by Betsy C.

Students come back from winter break already dreaming of spring. We look forward desperately to that week of freedom in March or April. Yet when we finally get our long-awaited vacations, things sometimes don't work out as we'd hoped. If you're stuck at home while your friends are on tropical getaways, or if you're on a tropical getaway but can't escape your boring family, check out these boredom-busting spring break ideas.

If you're still in your hometown, one of the best things you can do with your spring break is explore! Even the smallest hamlet probably has a street, park or forest you haven't fully discovered. If you live in a city, your options are practically limitless! Just make sure you stay safe when visiting a new area: always let your parents/guardians know where you'll be, bring a map if you need to, and explore in daylight with a friend.

Already know your town inside-out? Consider helping to make it a better place! Use a day or two of your break to collect litter, volunteer at a soup kitchen, or play games with the residents at a nursing home. You might even make some new friends in the process.

If you're away from home, there's still plenty you can do to conquer boredom. Working on your writing or artwork is a great way to spend spring break. You don't have homework to deal with, so you can fully commit yourself to that story or drawing or whatever it is you've been working on lately. You can even submit it to Teen Ink, and by your next vacation you might be a published author or artist!

Reading is always a great way to bust boredom, too. Check out some of Extra Ink's past book recommendations, or head over to TeenInk.com's fiction section to find great writing by teens like you! There's always something to do over spring break, even if you're stuck somewhere you'd rather not be. It's all in how you see the world, and at Teen Ink we try to help you see it better every day.

PS: Betsy has returned to the Teen Ink Twitter feed, so check it out and follow her for daily writing tips, contests, and other fun stuff!

Remember to check out Teen Ink on Twitter, FaceBook, MySpace and BeBo. You'll be alerted about the latest contest, get tips on publishing and chat with our editorial staff. Come on in--the social networking water's fine!

Do you know what's up at teenink.com? We're getting ready to add some great new features. Make sure to check us out often!

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________