« Previous issue January 19, 2010 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Your Best Chance to Get Published

This Extra Ink was written by Betsy C.

For most of you who read these newsletters, your number-one question is probably "why haven't I been published?" Trust me, I sympathize: I'm an aspiring writer too, and I know just how hard it is to wait weeks, months or more to hear back from a publisher--only to get rejected. It's hard.

However, I was lucky enough to land a gig at Teen Ink, and I'm here this week with potentially the most important Extra Ink ever: the one that will get you published.

Seriously.

I'm going to tell you how to majorly increase your chances of publication in Teen Ink. First, I'd like to offer the most likely reason you might not have been published yet: you've been submitting poetry or fiction. Those two genres are exponentially more competitive than the others we publish, which means our editors have to wade through a zillion of them every day--so it can be hard to stand out. Another important factor to consider is how much you've proofread and polished your work. Typos and grammatical errors make editors wince, and they decrease the professionalism of your writing. Don't just run spell-check; instead, read your work carefully, aloud if you have to, and ask a friend to look it over before you submit it.

Okay, on to the good stuff. If you want to get published in Teen Ink, here's what you do: write college reviews. That's pretty much it. They're one of the most helpful features of our magazine, and one of the only places where you can get honest opinions from other college-bound teens. We love publishing them, but we get hardly any submissions.

Maybe they're not as exciting for you to write as is love poetry, but trust me: we read love poetry every day. Heck, every minute. We'll be very excited to get your college review.

They're easy to write, too: short, fact-based, and simple. We're just looking for your honest opinion, mixed in with a few stats about tuition, the student body, and other basic information. Check out a few winners here--see? You can do it!

Trust me, if you're looking to get published in Teen Ink, this is absolutely the best way to get started. No need to thank me--I'll just be happy (and a little jealous) to see your name in print.

Remember to check out Teen Ink on Twitter, FaceBook, MySpace and BeBo. You'll be alerted about the latest contest, get tips on publishing and chat with our editorial staff. Come on in--the social networking water's fine!

Do you know what's up at teenink.com? We're getting ready to add some great new features. Make sure to check us out often!

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________