« Previous issue December 21, 2009 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

December 21st, 2009

Resolve Better

This Extra Ink was written by Betsy C.

If you're still looking for last-minute holiday gifts, what better way to finish your shopping than to give a Teen Ink gift subscription?

For just $35 you (or your friends) can receive a subscription to Teen Ink print magazine in the mail for an entire year (10 monthly issues). It's easy - just click here to subscribe: https://www.teenink.com/Subscribe.

We need people like you to spread the Teen Ink word and to give teenagers the voice you deserve. So, please help our cause and make Teen Ink subscriptions part of your holiday gift giving. We are sure you will be thanked over and over again.

The New Year is almost upon us, and while I'm sure you've resolved to help out your favorite nonprofit (Teen Ink, of course!) you may be wondering what other resolutions should make your list for 2010. Sure, you could go the tired, traditional route and vow to work out or get organized--but there's so much more you could do! Teen Ink is all about originality, and you know Extra Ink's got you covered for resolutions that will help you, help your community, and best of all: they'll be fun!

I'm willing to bet that getting into shape is the most popular New Year's resolution out there. Yeah, most of us (me included) could use some more gym time, but I'm thinking that this year I might resolve to improve the world outside, not just my own body. Try volunteering at your local community center, nursing home, or after school program. If you want to shape up your body and your community, you could take daily walks around the park--and clean up litter while you do it. After all, helping others feels better than a toned belly ever will.

Another same-old resolution is the vow to eat healthier: cut out fat or sugar or carbs or whatever the evil ingredient du jour will be next year. I'll do you one better: next year, vow to eat not healthier, but better! Instead of buying bags of mass-produced cookies or gallons of ice cream, try your hand at making your own. Cooking can really be fun, and it's cheaper (and usually healthier) than eating out. You can check out food blogs like this one to get some great, easy recipe ideas. And if you cook, your parents might even take over dishwashing duties!

With a bit of tweaking, you can make a resolution that fits your own goals, not those everyone tells you to have. If you carve your own path and follow your own resolutions, they'll be easier to keep than you ever thought possible.

Remember to check out Teen Ink on Twitter, FaceBook, MySpace and BeBo. You'll be alerted about the latest contest, get tips on publishing and chat with our editorial staff. Come on in--the social networking water's fine!

Do you know what's up at teenink.com? We're getting ready to add some great new features. Make sure to check us out often!

FACEBOOK/MYSPACE GIVEAWAY Teen Ink Group Subscription raffle! Join our FaceBook group or friend us on MySpace and you'll be automatically entered to win a year's subscription to Teen Ink Magazine. Multiple winners each month! You can also use FaceBook and MySpace to ask us questions and participate in great writing and art contests.

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________