« Previous issue July 24, 2009 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Get Going

This Extra Ink was written by Betsy C.

What have you done today? Have you considered your priorities, and gone right to the tasks which are most important and matter most to you? Have you left the little things for later, and only taken "breaks" for a reasonable amount of time, after you've gotten significant work done?

If you're like most people (and like me) the answer is no. The little things feel like all you can handle at the moment, and the big, important, difficult things--the things that make your life worth living-- keep getting pushed back. Soon enough even the little things are too tiring, and you're watching TV instead of vacuuming or checking Twitter for the twentieth time instead of working on that short story you're so excited about. It happens to the best of us.

Help has arrived! Extra Ink has materialized from the internet ether to get your butt into gear this week. Because guess what?

If you care about something, you'll get it done. You'll make it a priority, and some way, somehow, you'll do it.

Sound harsh? Maybe. As writer Toni Andrews said in her blog today, "If I really want to do something, I'll find a way to do it. If I don't, it's pretty easy to find an excuse." So consider this question: what is the one thing you want most out of life? The one accomplishment you'll look back on with pride at the end of your days?

Why aren't you doing that right now?

No matter what your dreams are, there are always excuses. Sometimes they're darn good excuses, and sometimes they're ridiculous. None of them matter. If you want something, you have to find a way to get it. Only you can do that. Do you want to be a writer? Get writing. Now. Not five minutes from now, when you're done checking your e-mail. Heck, stop reading this and go for it.

Okay, so non-writers: here's your stop. Want to be a doctor? A lawyer? President? The world's greatest hardboiled egg juggler? Get going. Figure out what you need to make your dreams happen, and do it. There will be obstacles in your way--and procrastination will be among them--but if you really care, if you really want it, you'll carve out a path for yourself. Starting now.

Remember to check out Teen Ink on Twitter, FaceBook, MySpace and BeBo. You'll be alerted about the latest contest, get tips on publishing and chat with our editorial staff. Come on in--the social networking water's fine!

Do you know what's up at teenink.com? We're getting ready to add some great new features. Make sure to check us out often!

FACEBOOK/MYSPACE GIVEAWAY Teen Ink Group Subscription raffle! Join our FaceBook group or friend us on MySpace and you'll be automatically entered to win a year's subscription to Teen Ink Magazine. Multiple winners each month! You can also use FaceBook and MySpace to ask us questions and participate in great writing and art contests.

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________