« Previous issue March 27, 2009 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Better World Books

This Extra Ink was written by Betsy C.

You can buy just about anything on the Internet. But do you ever stop to think about where your money goes? As our Global Issues blogger often states, consumers hold a lot of power to change the world for the better.

As you might guess from its name, that's exactly the concept behind Better World Books. BWB is an online bookseller that rivals Powell's or Amazon (at least in the book department) but also sells used books, so you can buy cheap without having to give your information to anyone but the company (unlike the used books on Amazon). The prices are comparable to those better-known vendors, too. They even offer free shipping in the US, and very low shipping costs worldwide.

The core of Better World Books, however, is not their business but their good works. Every purchase supports a charity to fund global literacy--they've raised over six million dollars for the cause so far! In addition, Better World Books takes a special interest in rescuing unwanted books from landfills. They encourage resale and reuse of books, and collect books and textbooks through their networks of more than 2,600 schools and libraries.

Better World Books offers a great book-buying experience, and you can shop contentedly knowing that your money is going toward a good cause. You can even pick up a Teen Ink book there and read the very best our magazine has to offer. Enjoy the free shipping and low textbook prices--but most of all, enjoy your good deed for the day.

There's still time to enter the Book Review Contest! Did you know you can win guaranteed publication by entering our monthly social network contests? Check out FaceBook, MySpace, Twitter, and Bebo to learn about this month's book review contest, or e-mail betsy@teenink.com.

Do you know what's up at teenink.com? We're getting ready to add some great new features. Make sure to check us out often!

FACEBOOK/MYSPACE GIVEAWAY Teen Ink Group Subscription raffle! Join our FaceBook group or friend us on MySpace and you'll be automatically entered to win a year's subscription to Teen Ink Magazine. Multiple winners each month! You can also use FaceBook and MySpace to ask us questions and participate in great writing and art contests.

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________