« Previous issue March 13, 2009 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Learn to Draw

This Extra Ink was written by Betsy C.

Have you explored the Art section of TeenInk.com? There are thousands of amazing teen artists on our website. These artists clearly have talent--and you do, too. Don't believe me? Then read on.

Unfortunately, studies have shown that most people decide whether or not they have any artistic talent by early elementary school.* If you're one of these people, you're probably convinced that you'll never move far beyond stick figures and smiley faces--but that doesn't have to be your fate. To be a good artist, you just have to see things differently.

I learned this from reading Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, a great, basic book about re-learning the drawing process. But if you don't have the time or budget for the book, there are several websites out there that can help you awaken your inner artist. For hundreds of lessons that are useful no matter your skill level, check out DrawSpace.com. Drawspace offers specific tutorials on everything from perspective drawing to texture. If you're looking for the absolute beginner basics, then Learn to Draw Basics is probably for you, with its accessible style and simple instructions. Finally, if you're interested in animation and illustration styles, here's a handy guide to drawing cartoon figures: Tearain's How To Draw. But no matter which guide you choose, the most important thing is to be willing to learn. If you're convinced you can't draw, it might take you a few tries to get over that mental block. But just keep drawing, and in no time your work will be ready for Teen Ink--and beyond!

*from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Did you know you can win guaranteed publication by entering our monthly social network contests? Check out FaceBook, MySpace, Twitter, and Bebo to learn about this month's book review contest, or e-mail betsy@teenink.com.

Do you know what's up at teenink.com? We're getting ready to add some great new features. Make sure to check us out often!

FACEBOOK/MYSPACE GIVEAWAY Teen Ink Group Subscription raffle! Join our FaceBook group or friend us on MySpace and you'll be automatically entered to win a year's subscription to Teen Ink Magazine. Multiple winners each month! You can also use FaceBook and MySpace to ask us questions and participate in great writing and art contests.

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________