« Previous issue September 19, 2008 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

DeviantArt.com - Be Devious

This Extra Ink was written by our intern, Betsy C.

You may have heard of Deviant Art already. You may think of it, as I did for some time, as mainly part of the fan-fiction subculture: a place where Harry Potter fanatics can post their latest "Ron Hearts Hermione" drawings for review. And it's true--Deviant Art is a great source for illustrations of any and all of your favorite books and movies, everything from Twilight to The Time Traveler's Wife, and good old Harry, too.

You would really be cheating yourself, however, if you limited your perusal of Deviant Art to its more bookish, fan-centered offerings. There is a nearly endless trove of edgy photography, drawings and paintings, and digital design on the site, and some of the work is truly professional-quality.

But despite the highly imaginative content and huge scale of the site, Deviant Art is an accessible site that's very easy to navigate, whether you're looking for something specific or just 'digging around.' You can search by medium, subject, or even style (e.g. anime), or you can browse by inspiration--drawings based on novels, comics, TV shows, or films. Much of the fan art is based on books and series popular with teens, as well, so you're almost definitely going to find something culled from your favorite entertainment indulgence.

Deviant Art's selections even extend into the third dimension with its "Artisan Crafts" section, and offer moving artwork under "Flash" and "Film & Animation."

Browsing Deviant Art is basically like digging through someone's highly active imagination. Like our imaginations, large sections of the site are inspired by favorite books and other media. But there is also lot of remarkable, diverse artwork on the site that isn't directly culled from those sources. Spend a few minutes at Deviant Art, and your own imagination will fire up in exciting ways that you maybe hadn't recognized before.

NEW SPECIAL OFFER - 13: The Musical DISCOUNT OFFER! -- If you order tickets now, you will save 40%. Just call 212-947-8844 and mention the code 13TEENK for your discount. You can also visit BroadwayOffers.com and use the code 13TEENK.

Have you read anything RAW lately? Check out TeenInk.com/Raw and rate stories, give authors feedback, and get your favorite articles to the most popular list. Heck, submit your own work and see if you can become the most popular author on Teen Ink RAW!

P.S. Call For Submissions: Are you touring colleges this summer? Tell us what you think of them. Did the dorms stink? Were they too small? Was the cafeteria food amazing? Was it in a big city, or in the middle of nowhere? Send us your College Reviews now, and save your peers from the bad choices, and point them in the direction of the good.

Find Teen Ink on Facebook and MySpace and join our online community. Start participating in weekly writing exercises, updates on contests and cool websites, and a ton more! And don't forget to tell your friends about us.

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________