« Previous issue September 12, 2008 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Etsy.com: Your Portal to Buy & Sell All Things Crafty

This Extra Ink was written by our intern, Betsy C.

Do you have a stash of sketches languishing on your desk? Do you love to knit or crochet, but you've run out of relatives to gift? Are you good at finding vintage treasures in flea markets and garage sales that others end up wishing they'd discovered?

Well, Etsy.com might be just the entrepreneurial venture for you.

Etsy is an online marketplace that offers almost anything that can be labeled either 'vintage' or 'homemade.' Individual sellers can be found selling everything from vintage jewelry and clothing to custom stationery, tee-shirts, art, and knitwear.

Best of all, it's super-easy to get started! It's free to get an Etsy account, but you do have to pay a small fee for each item you display in your shop.

However, that's really only to be expected, and Etsy has some distinct advantages over sites like eBay. For example, on Etsy you only pay a flat rate (20 cents per item) for a listing that includes up to five big photos and all the text you want. (eBay charges extra for such niceties!) Also, those 20 cents keep your item active on the site for four months, as opposed to the seven days you get at many sites.

If all this handmade and vintage yumminess sounds great but you're not digging the selling-stuff aspect, Etsy is also a pretty fabulous gifts-and-goodies resource. There are thousands of people selling their creations on the site, and you'll likely end up with a one-of-a-kind piece that no one else will be wearing.

There are a lot of great ways to shop on Etsy -- not only can you browse by category, but you can also search by color (try www.etsy.com/color.php), stores that have had a recent sale, or even by vendors whose birthday it is!

If you're even remotely crafty, Etsy may bring out the homespun entrepreneur in you -- I know I'm obsessed. If you need help setting up a shop, contact me through madberry.etsy.com and I'll help you out. Good luck!

NEW SPECIAL OFFER - 13: The Musical DISCOUNT OFFER! -- If you order tickets now, you will save 40%. Just call 212-947-8844 and mention the code 13TEENK for your discount. You can also visit BroadwayOffers.com and use the code 13TEENK.

Have you read anything RAW lately? Check out TeenInk.com/Raw and rate stories, give authors feedback, and get your favorite articles to the most popular list. Heck, submit your own work and see if you can become the most popular author on Teen Ink RAW!

P.S. Call For Submissions: Are you touring colleges this summer? Tell us what you think of them. Did the dorms stink? Were they too small? Was the cafeteria food amazing? Was it in a big city, or in the middle of nowhere? Send us your College Reviews now, and save your peers from the bad choices, and point them in the direction of the good.

Find Teen Ink on Facebook and MySpace and join our online community. Start participating in weekly writing exercises, updates on contests and cool websites, and a ton more! And don't forget to tell your friends about us.

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________