« Previous issue May 16, 2008 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Summer Cash

This Extra Ink was written by our intern, Shelley M. Thanks Shelley!

Summer is just around the bend, and you're mind is overflowing with plans. You already hear the beach calling your name, feel the sticky popsicles melting in your hands, and smell the hot dogs and hamburgers roasting on the grill. You have thought about the word vacation so much you begin to write it on your math homework. However, all your wonderful daydreams vanish when you soon remember that your wallet has recently gone on a diet, and the price of gas is only getting higher. You face reality; it's time for a summer job.

So where do you begin? The elusive answer to that question is daunting enough to stop the search right then and there. Well, have no fear because there are a number of options right online that will have your applications sent out in no time flat without leaving the comfort of your computer.

CAMPJOBS.COM: Interested in working at a summer camp? On this site you can apply for a variety of staff positions at camps near you. They have an assortment of camps to choose from, from sports camp to writing camps, apply to those that are most appealing to you!

GOTAJOB.COM: This database is geared specifically towards teen employment, and provides a list of opportunities right near home in the customer service field. You simply type in your zip code, and start applying!

CARE.COM: Instead of looking for employers, why not have employers look for you? At care.com you can create your own profile in child care, tutoring, senior care, pet care and housekeeping. You post your application right online, and people can view your profile. You'll receive emailed updates of anyone interested in your services.

So get that iced tea, sit down with that burger, plop those flip-flopped feet up on your desk and start perusing the internet. The best part about applying to jobs online is it leaves you plenty of time to make the summer movie blockbusters with your friends, and with a little extra summer cash in your pocket, splurge on the large popcorn!

P.S. Teen Ink now has a store! Go to TeenInk.com and click on Teen Ink Store. Or click here to see apparel and accessories you can't find anywhere else. We have one-of-a-kind designs BY teens, with quote shirts from teen stories. For him, her, Mom, Pop, even Fido. Best part is, we're adding new things every day. So take a look! You may just find the perfect gift for Dad's day, or for a friend on graduation.

Find Teen Ink on Facebook and MySpace and join our online community! And don't forget to tell your friends about Extra Ink.

Miss an Extra Ink? Go to TeenInk.com/ExtraInk for past e-newsletters.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________