« Previous issue March 4, 2008 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Goodreads Book Review Contest

Have you ever read a book and had an opinion about it afterwards? Obviously you have. You have a pulse, don't you? Think about that terrible book your English teacher made you read last semester and how you had to hold back all things you really wanted to say about it, stopping yourself just short of burning the thing in a bonfire among friends. Or what about the one you loved? Remember that one and how inspiring it was, how it made you so glad to be a reader, so hopeful to be a writer?

Well, now is your chance to let all of that suppressed love or distaste come out.

Goodreads.com, an entire site dedicated to helping bibliophiles network with each other, is hosting GoodReviews: The Official Book Review Contest.

You choose one of the three books they give you:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

Witch of Portobello by Paul Coelho

Then, you write a 750 word review and post it in the Contest Group. You must have a Goodreads.com profile in order to do this. But don't worry, it's free and painless, and best of all, you get hooked up with a network of readers and writers who love literature.

Your reviews will be judged by member popularity, kinda like literary youtube, and also by the Goodreads.com staff who says they are "looking for originality, clarity, content, and humor." (For a helpful example, check out the book reviews at nytimes.com.)

If you win, you'll get a $20 gift certificate to Amazon.com! Not bad reward for reading a book that, no matter which you choose, is going to be a pretty darn entertaining read.

But hurry and get the book to start your review. The deadline for submissions is MARCH 10!!

P.S. In May, Teen Ink is doing a feature on parents. So send us your stories, fiction or non-fiction (true), poems, even artwork on your mom or dad. You can submit your work by clicking here.

Find Teen Ink on Facebook and MySpace and join our online community! And don't forget to tell your friends about Extra Ink.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________