« Previous issue February 22, 2008 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

Summer Program of Your Dreams

Just think: that final bell, the summer breeze in your hair, and that first taste of freedom marking the start of a three month hiatus from all things responsible. Now's the chance to catch up on all that TV you missed, and finally seeing movies again with your friends, and doing other important things, like sleeping. That's all well and good.

But wouldn't you rather be inspired over your 2008 Summer break? Wouldn't you rather have an experience instead of just letting another summer slip by? Here's your chance:

From July 13 - July 26, the Atlantic Center for the Arts is hosting the summer camp of any writer's dream. It's called the Teen Creative Writing Residency program.

The Place: New Smyrna Beach, Florida

You'll be housed in an artists-in-residence facility on 69 acres of incredible white sandy beaches and surrounded by a 2,200 acre nature preserve. (Two things: 1. When in this modern day can you say you were an "artist-in-residence" like Michelangelo or DaVinci were? and 2. There's no better inspiration for a writer than nature, just ask Wordsworth or Krakauer.)

Plus, you'll be sleeping on a double bed, with your own private bathroom, work desk, and refrigerator! (Let's see if you get that kind of treatment as a freshman in college.)

For more information on New Smyrna Beach, visit www.visitnsb.com

The Work: Workshops with Master Writers-in-Residence

You'll attend literary workshops with award-winning writers like Maggie Estep (Fiction), Thomas Sayers Ellis (Poetry) and Terese Svoboda (Creative Nonfiction/Memoir). Plus, you'll get to work in state-of-the-art artists' studios and digital media labs (incidentally, right next to the dining hall and library).

The Fun: The Beach

Well, besides all the incredible writing you'll do, and interesting people you'll meet, you'll still get that fun in the Summer sun with regular trips to New Smyrna's white sandy beaches and the Canaveral National Seashore. Activities will include boat trips, eco-tours on local waterways, bike rides, poetry slams and a ton ton more. Seriously, somebody pinch me.

Why There's No Excuse Not to Go: It's Free!

Full scholarships and travel stipends (that's paid travel, my friends) are offered to the majority of students! So, what are you waiting for?

Visit AtlanticCenterforTheArts.org for more information. Or apply now before April 4 here.

P.S. In April, Teen Ink is doing a special College issue, so send us your college essays, personal statements, or college reviews. Tell us about what it was like visiting a certain campus, or about how stressful or inspiring it is to apply to college. You can submit your work by clicking here.

Find Teen Ink on Facebook and MySpace and join our online community! And don't forget to tell your friends about Extra Ink.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________