« Previous issue April 20, 2007 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

TV-Turnoff Week

Did you know that on average, children in the U.S. will spend more time in front of the television (1,023 hours) than in school this year (900 hours)? And that American homes now average more TVs than people? Let's face it - Americans are addicted to television.

Mark your calendars! TV-Turnoff Week is April 23-29. The Center for Screen-Time Awareness is asking Americans to do something about our deep-rooted addiction by participating in this annual event. Beginning this Monday, let's vow to turn off the telly, so we can remember what it's like to live life without the next top model or Dr. McDreamy.

The Center for Screen-Time Awareness hopes (and we do too) that during your TV-less week you'll find much more space in your life to create, to connect and to engage in more brain- and body-full activities. Perhaps you'll keep the TV off even after the 29th, knowing that a life lived free from a tube-induced haze is much more fulfilling.

We encourage you to participate in TV-Turnoff Week. We also encourage you to write about your experience and submit to us at Teen Ink.

P.S. We hear that spring sunshine is a great way to ease TV-withdrawal symptoms.

email

extraink@teenink.com

phone: 617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.comExtra Inkwelcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to email us your thoughts.

____________________________________________________________________