« Previous issue March 2, 2007 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

The Artist's Way

If life's feeling a bit dull, get on a path toward creativity with The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron.

Cameron believes we are all meant to be creative but many of us have lost touch with our creative spirits. A playwright, poet and screenwriter, Cameron offers a series of exercises that are meant to unlock the artist within each of us.

According to The Artist's Way, the two most crucial exercises are the morning pages and artist dates. Cameron asks readers to commit to writing three stream-of-consciousness pages each and every morning. The morning pages are a place for us to dump the drama and difficulties and fear in our lives, moving us toward constructive creative actions like painting a picture, composing a song, or writing a poem.

In addition, Cameron asks readers to go on a solo weekly artist date. It doesn't matter what you and yourself do on this artist date n sit on a bench at a mall and observe, go for a walk in the woods, visit a museum -- as long as it's fun. Cameron believes that all art forms use images and these artist dates fill our image pond, which is the creative resource from which we fish.

The book is filled with many other playful and helpful exercises such as how to use anger as fuel, finding and listening to your inner compass, and dealing with crazymakers and creative U-turns. Some exercises feel hokey but overall they work to freshen your stale inner-artist.

So, go ahead and carve your own unique life path with the help of Cameron's The Artist's Way.