« Previous issue December 1, 2006 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

December 1,

2006

Share the Magic of Words

The holiday season is synonymous with tree-lit streets, mistletoe kisses, giddy ice skaters and &hellip consumerism. We here at Teen Ink propose you do something that pushes against the excessive consumerism. We want you to give the gift of inspiration -- without spending a dime.

Based on an idea from poet and teacher Georgia Heard, hereis the challenge: write down inspirational words on a piece of paper and leave it in a public place for anyone to discover. Place a moving poem, some insightful song lyrics or an excerpt from your favorite novel under the salt shaker at a restaurant, in the restroom at the mall, even the school cafeteria &hellip anywhere you think a stranger would appreciate the unexpected inspirational boost. And if youire feeling really generous, maybe youill leave an entire book with an anonymous note about why itis a worthy read.

We know you know and appreciate the power of words. In the spirit of the holiday season, share the magic as often as youid like &hellip once, twice, or every day between now and the end of 2006.

Weire not suggesting you forego buying and receiving tangible gifts -- thatis part of the holiday tradition -- and fun. But letis make giving the gift of words part of the holiday tradition, too.

email:

extraink@teenink.com

phone:

617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.com

Sign up for our Email Newsletter

Get the word out about Extra Ink. Send it to your friends using

the link below.

Extra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to

email us your thoughts.