« Previous issue November 17, 2006 issue       Back to archive Next issue »

November 17,

2006

Superpowers

Which superpower would you choose: flight or invisibility? And what does your choice show about your character? If you work hard enough, is it possible to actually become a superhero? And if so, which superpowers would guarantee your longevity?

These are some of the questions explored in the iSuperpowersi episode of public-radiois show, iThis American Life.i Hosted by Ira Glass, each hour-long show is divided into four acts centered on a theme, in this case n superpowers. In this episodeis second act, we hear from a woman who methodically tried to become a superhero. And in the third act a superhero expert explains why Bee Man failed.

Part humorous, part touching, part philosophical, iSuperpowersi is well worth a listen. Faster than a speeding bullet, go to the iThis American Lifei website (www.thislife.org), click on the iOur favorite showsi link in the left-hand column and find the iSuperpowersi link.

And if getting in touch with your inner-superhero is not your thing, explore the site until you find an episode that does suit your fancy. Because we think that when it comes to thought-provoking entertainment, iThis American Lifei is more powerful than a locomotive. Perhaps youill even find a theme that kick-starts your own writing.

Read Teen Ink's interview with Ira Glass, host of "This Amercian Life."

email:

extraink@teenink.com

phone:

617.964.6800

web:

http://www.teenink.com

Sign up for our Email Newsletter

Get the word out about Extra Ink. Send it to your friends using

the link below.

Extra Ink welcomes feedback and suggestions. Feel free to

email us your thoughts.