Top Voted What Matters Articles

Here are the top voted what matters articles:

voted
#1
Unconscious This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
There was a dead girl in front of the library this morning. She was breathing, but she wasn’t alive. Whatever existence she’d had during her few years – I calculated she was around 13 – certainly wasn’t life. She was tossed carelessly on... (more »)
469 comments
voted
#2
Life is too short This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   People constantly focus on material possessions and winning as the most important partsof life, vowing to enjoy life as much as possible. How often is the message"Life is too short not to live a little" thrown in our... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#3
Power of Passion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     A while ago, I didn’t think I had a passion. I would sit in front of the TV all day and not think about anything except the next show. I thought a passion was for fanatics with nothing better to do than obsess... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#4
Hope This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Pandora just couldn't stand it any longer. She had to find out what was in that box. She hurried to the table where the box stood, unlatched it and opened the lid. Out flew all the evils of the world, except one.... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#5
Here Today, Gone Tomorrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     My whole body was overcome with goose bumps and my eyes began to fill with tears. My hands shook uncontrollably as I tried to understand. I was lost in the words I was being told. The world was spinning and I could... (more »)
22 comments
voted
#6
Lessons from an Ant Farm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
     I learned about life from an ant farm. When I was seven years old, my family assembled one from a kit. First, we put clean sand in a thin glass box, and then we waited for the live ants to arrive. When the postman... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#7
My Last Year This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     If, at the beginning of spring semester senior year, you had told me I would be in college, I would have said you were crazy, but that is where I am now. My tale includes some rather unique locales, including a trip... (more »)
16 comments
voted
#8
Butterfly Effect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      “Thank you for your application. We would like to congratulate you,” the letter read. Those words can make your heart skip a beat and bring tears to your eyes. The feeling of following your dreams is... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#9
Stutter This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     My name is M-m-m-adison. That has always been a particularlydifficult word for my lips to form, especially on unexpected occasions. In my mind I know exactlywhat I want to say and when and how I want to say it, but... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#10
To My Parents This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Dear Mom and Dad, The time has come: I'm graduating, and I thank you both for all your help during these 18 years. I still remember when you guys used to say, "You can be whatever you want." I'm so glad you are my parents, especially... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#11
Three Values This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      Every day, life is made and lost. Every day, life goes on. Every day we experience some of the most important parts of life and may not even realize it: love, generosity, and perseverance. These values aren’t... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#12
How I Stay Strong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Each day in my life is like no other, yet each is the same. My dad always finds something for me to do for him and then he finds some way I have done it wrong. He assumes I live to do his bidding and to obey him... (more »)
14 comments
voted
#13
Beauty in the Ugly This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      Last year I was assigned to a program for two weeks after drinking at a school event. It was a mistake I regret deeply and I can say that I learned a lot from my ensuing punishment. Although I wish it had never... (more »)
13 comments
voted
#14
Breaking the Silence This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     I stared at the stack of manila envelopes in front of me and sighed. Instead of learning algebra that day, I would mechanically fold, insert, clasp and stamp for the next 40 minutes. With great hesitation, I picked... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#15
A Christmas Eve To Remember This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   The snow dances softly to the ground as the wind sings ita song. I sit at the bay window feeling the frosty air diffuse through the glass,which provokes me to curl my legs into my long red flannel nightgown with lacearound the... (more »)
voted
#16
What’s Important This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Something will always drive a person. If a person is good, it might be goals, love, a need to protect, or a need to feel accepted. For others with a darker personality, it could be hate, vengeance or want. No matter... (more »)
4 comments