Top Voted What Matters Articles

Here are the top voted what matters articles:

voted
#1
Unconscious This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
There was a dead girl in front of the library this morning. She was breathing, but she wasn’t alive. Whatever existence she’d had during her few years – I calculated she was around 13 – certainly wasn’t life. She was tossed carelessly on... (more »)
460 comments
voted
#2
Pulling Our Weight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Superskinnies, wannarexics, and emaciated celebrities dominate the media: Nicole Richie, Victoria Beckham, the once-curvy Katie Price (formerly known as Jordan). Some of the highest-profile women in our society are wasting away before our eyes,... (more »)
16 comments
voted
#3
Autobiography This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I still feel the sand scratching my body. A beautiful beach, the endless blue ocean, the first rays of sun ­escaping the horizon. The wheels still turning, my body in pain, and my brother not breathing. If you think this autobiography is short,... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#4
Presidential Qualifications This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In the living, breathing words of our Constitution, Article II, Section I, Clause 5 officially decrees that, “No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#5
A Failing College This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Created officially on September 6, 1787, during the Philadelphia Convention, the electoral college consists of popularly elected representatives (electors) from all states who come together every four years to formally elect the president and vice... (more »)
5 comments
voted
#6
We the Voters This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost,” said our honorable sixth president, John Quincy Adams. This quote dates back to the 1800s, but its message of our... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#7
What Is Democracy? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Democracy is not a government; it is a way of thinking, a responsibility. In a democracy there is no corruption in power because it is a transparent system: the governing doctrine states that citizens have the right to access the documents and... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#8
True Beauty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When most people think of the word “beautiful,” they think of models and movie stars. I admit I used to be one of them. I used to wish I was skinnier, had fuller lips, or eyes that were a vivid shade of blue, green, or hazel. My friends and I... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#9
A Total Stud This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My first day at Gap was a six-hour training shift. Of course, I was expecting it to be paperwork, training videos, and a tour of the store. I arrived ten minutes early; I'm always early to work and appointments. I was led to the back room and... (more »)