Do You Really Understand Gun Violence in Schools? | Teen Ink

Do You Really Understand Gun Violence in Schools?

School shooting have had a huge impact on United States schools recently. Gun violence is the reason behind these issues. Gun violence with when a person or a group of people use a firearm to harm others or things. CNN news says that in 2018 alone there has been eighteen record school shootings in the United States. The most well known shooting is the violent shooting in Parkland, Florida (Ahmed and Walker 2018). That is a crazy amount of shooting and the majority of them occurred this month in March. Something needs to change because gun violence has been a problem in schools for many years and change needs to happen.

Some of the most famous school shooting that many people know are the Columbine Twins, Sandy Hook Elementary, and Parkland (“These are the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history”). Wouldn't you think that change would happen after the first time? We would all love to think so but these kind of incidents continue to happen over and over again. Gun violence in schools is a scary topic that needs to end and many feel like nothing is being done about it. Many are angered by the fact that it takes an outrageous incident to happen for people to come to terms with an issue, “Somehow, the national conversation about gun violence and children glosses over those neighborhoods — mostly urban — where innocent kids have been killed by gunfire for years. It takes an extraordinary example like Parkland to spark the reckoning in America that these deaths — all of them — are not okay” (Petula Dvorak). Why people need to keep dying rapidly for people to realize that change needs to occur?

Some say that the solution is this is purely medicine and rehab since it is a “health issue” and some want strong laws and want someone to take a stand. PEople want to establish good gun laws, create a gun safety program, hire responsible gun dealer, and more (Prevention Institute). Others want to have mental health clinics since many believe that school shooters have a culture of trauma (Prevention Institute). President Trump has many interesting views on the topic which include; background checks, bump stocks, arming teachers, raising age limit, and mental health measures (Here's Where President Trump Stands on 5 Gun Control Ideas”). No one knows what is going to be done yet about the issue but there are many proposals and something needs to change soon.

In conclusion gun violence in schools is a large issue that has been happening since the beginning of time. If something doesn't change soon many children and adults will keep dying. Although many feel hopeless about the topic hopefully change will come soon. There are many proposals for a resolution although some seem more elastic than others at least people are now recognizing the issue and fighting for change. It is just sad that seventeen people had to die in Parkland, Florida for people to notice.

Works Cited
"Gun Violence Must Stop. Here's What We Can Do to Prevent More Deaths." Prevention Institute. Accessed 13 Apr. 2018.
“The Nation Is Focused on Students and Gun Violence. But Kids in Urban Schools Want to Know, Where’s Everybody Been?” The Washington Post.  Accessed 13 Apr. 2018.
"There Has Been, on Average, 1 School Shooting Every Week This Year." CNN.com, Accessed 13 Apr. 2018.School shooting have had a huge impact on United States schools recently. Gun violence is the reason behind these issues. Gun violence with when a person or a group of people use a firearm to harm others or things. CNN news says that in 2018 alone there has been eighteen record school shootings in the United States. The most well known shooting is the violent shooting in Parkland, Florida (Ahmed and Walker 2018). That is a crazy amount of shooting and the majority of them occurred this month in March. Something needs to change because gun violence has been a problem in schools for many years and change needs to happen.