Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

March 9, 2018
By SugarSprinkle PLATINUM, Ann Arbor, Michigan
SugarSprinkle PLATINUM, Ann Arbor, Michigan
25 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

I would like to begin by saying welcome home. When you returned home from Vietnam, you returned from a life-changing event, from a war that demanded unimaginable amounts of courage, strength, and self-reliance. Upon your return, you were treated with disrespect and received neither the love nor the gratitude you deserved. It is impossible for me to imagine how you must have felt. You sacrificed your prior life and changed your mind, heart, and soul. I wanted to write this letter because I would like to thank you for going through everything you did for the benefit of humanity and for what I have today.

My name is Serena and I am a 16 year old junior in high school. I watched the Honor Flight movie and it touched me to see veterans crying tears upon reading the letters addressed to them. I have always been fascinated with the idea of serving in the military because of how influential it is. I cannot believe how brave you were in serving in the Vietnam War, perhaps the most terrifying conflict in modern human history. You served the nation in a way that few people have the rare audacity to, and that is why I am so thankful for you.

You are a hero! You risked your life to fight for your country. The dedication and commitment you possessed is commendable. If I got drafted to war only two years from now, I would never be able to keep myself together. Did you get drafted at this age? How did it feel to you? If that happened to me, I would be utterly terrified. This is only another reason why I am so grateful for your service: you made a sacrifice that cannot be repaid.

I would like you to know that I am forever grateful for your sacrifices. You are the reason why I could stay in school even when battles were being fought--you are the reason why I have the freedoms that I have today. Thank you so much! And I wish you a very warm welcome home!

Sincerely,
Serena