A Letter About Social Injustice Towards Poverty | Teen Ink

A Letter About Social Injustice Towards Poverty

By Sila.Duzgun BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Sila.Duzgun BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Just newly in 2018, the U.S. has faced a lot of tension and violence.  People are actively  protesting and organizing marches for justice and change.  With so much in the news and so many coming together to fight, most have forgotten the huge advantage they have.  Most are able to do whatever they are passionate about, and do not have to think about whether they should save money for their next meal, or pay their electric bill.  People have, in a way, forgotten about the  43.1 million Americans who live in poverty in the U.S., and can not afford the cost of protesting or organizing marches, as they could easily lose the little they have.

The U.S. is considered a developed country; therefore, many do not understand how such a place could have such poor living conditions.  This minimum recognition makes the issue worse. Many more people need to know what some in this country have to decide everyday, which can be done by raising awareness through popular platforms in social media and through the news where many get their information.  With more people, especially the youth, passionate and aware of such poor conditions, more can create change.  Additionally, if more try to justify with change, and write to Congress, and work with organizations that deal with poverty and hunger in the U.S., the near future could promise such things as an increase in the federal minimum wage, which is currently $7.25.  Generally speaking the more citizens aware and fighting against poverty and hunger, the more work organizations and Congress can do to ease those in these critical conditions.

People can create change.  If the majority is passionate about poverty, they can take action.  This action can alter the lives of many in the U.S.