Diversity

By Ghirardelli SILVER, Bangor, Maine
Ghirardelli SILVER, Bangor, Maine

"One moment of pain is worth a lifetime of glory." -Louis Zamperini

While it might be a bit of a stretch, diversity is certainly part of the reason we aren’t cavemen. In other words, diversity is why we develop, why we change. To explain this, imagine that we were all the same, exactly the same. The same lives, the same looks, the same thoughts, everything. This is the opposite of diversity, uniformity: the state of being all the same. Uniformity is not a good thing. While it may seem comforting, while it may seem like this would be a solution for war and hunger and everything bad, it would also stop development. If we were all the same, we would all have the same ideas. Some might be good, but many would be bad and since we would all agree on the one bad idea, nobody to stand up and explain its flaws, it would be our plan of action. We would not develop, and without diversity, we would not have developed from cavemen, or at least not very far from them. Diversity, different ideas, different minds, even conflict, is why we have developed and why we still are developing every day. Disagreements are the sparks that light the fires that are the minds of people today. Disagreements are why we develop, not why we fall. Disagreements are good. The definition of diversity is the state of being different. Uniformity is being the same. Diversity is why we aren’t cavemen. Uniformity is not.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!