Mail Call | Teen Ink

Mail Call

By empets SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
empets SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

I would first like to start out by thanking you for everything you have done to serve our country. Not many people possess the qualities veterans like you have. I am a senior at Arrowhead High School and am writing this after watching the Honor Flight movie in class. I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for our country and I want to make sure the work and hardships you have put in has not gone unnoticed.

In my generation (and I’m sure the generations to come), kids walk around with everything handed to them. But as kids grow up, they begin to understand the meaning of hard work. As I get older, I realize how different my experience is from yours. And for these differences, I thank you.

When you were my age, you were drafted into the military. Today, I am able to grow up and get an education in a field of my choosing—and if I would like to join the military, it would be my decision. To me, there is no greater honor than what you have done for our country and for that, I thank you.

When I was in middle school, I had the pleasure to see the war memorials you have just visited. For me, it was a once in a lifetime experience. I can't imagine how amazing it must’ve been for you to revisit such a huge part of your life. I remember my teachers saying how rare it was for veterans to visit the memorials built in their honor. Today, you were able to see what you and the battles you fought mean to the American people. On behalf of all of us, I thank you.

When I think of the hard work and sacrifice you put into shaping our country, it makes me proud to live in such a great country and to have veterans like you protecting us. Thank you for your service.