Saying "Me Too"

Saying “me too” was my choice, and if sexual abuse has happened to you. It’s your choice too. It’s not an attack. It's a fact. A fact of what has now become a new chapter in my life. A fact that isn’t yours to judge. Even if it happens to you. It’s so you know. That sexual abuse happens. It’s real, it's happening, and it's being normalized. Consent needs to be normalized. Not the lack of. Not others taking advantage of another's body. If it's not your body it's not your choice. When I said “me too” I was telling myself that it’s true. I was sexually assaulted. No matter how many times the person who did it tries to tell me I wasn't.  To that person, you can sit down and go through it in your head a million times, but the facts are still there. The guilt that consumed you after and showed through your words are still there. I shouldn't be shamed for wanting control of my body. There are no excuses if it happens. No one should be shamed or silenced. If sexual abuse happens to you. I just want you to know. That one it doesn't make you less of a person. Feeling the pain it causes doesn't make you less of a person either. You are breathing, and you are reading this. So I'm proud of you, you're alive! Also, those that put blame on you. Clearly aren't right. They're toxic. You don't need people like that. Don’t waste your time trying to explain yourself to these people. Your energy is important and should not be used on those without common sense. Don’t believe what these people say. You can't control others action. Kinda like how others think they can control another's body. The situation wasn't in your control. It's not your fault. Don't go over scenarios in your head thinking there's anything different you could have done. Understand that what happened can't be changed. Lastly just know you are not disgusting. You are loved because I love you and you are a strong human being.