Day to Day | Teen Ink

Day to Day

October 4, 2017
By Tmoney11 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Tmoney11 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Day to day, I am able to do the things I love: fishing, competing in sports events, and sitting down with my family and having dinner. I think of how lucky I am to be an American, knowing others don’t even dream of the same privileges.

 

Day to day, I think about the family I saw in the airport, the father in full uniform kissing his toddler on the cheek saying he would be home soon, the mother balling, holding a baby girl in her arms. I think about those who no longer have a husband, a father, or even a child—all who sacrifice for our freedom.


Day to day, I look at the red, white, and blue flag and clench my hand over my heart and proudly state The Pledge of Allegiance. I take pride in this daily event, for I know the flag is not simply a flag. It represents America and those who are willing to bleed for it.


Day to day, I watch the news and see all the bad in the world. I thank God I live in America—a place where I can become a doctor, a lawyer, or follow in my father's footsteps. In America, opportunities are limitless.


Day to day, I walk down the street. I don’t see women whose eyes only show, but I see women thriving in success. I see women with equal opportunities just as men. I see an African American elected as president of the United States. Finally, I see equality.


Day to day, I thank God I’m an American, an American who can chose his own path, an American that has freedom, an American that has equal opportunity as the one to the left and right of him, and an American who recognizes those who fought and died for our country.


Day to day, patriotism is tradition, family and friends, equality, and saluting all those who have fallen for the greatest country in the world.