What Does September Eleventh Mean to Me? | Teen Ink

What Does September Eleventh Mean to Me?

September 21, 2017
By hip.like.nirvana BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
hip.like.nirvana BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There were people who were alive during the tragedy of Nine-Eleven and endured it. Some survived, some aren’t breathing anymore. I wasn’t breathing nor aware on September 11, 2001. What I am alive for are the repercussions. The wariness of schools, the increase of airport security, the misconceptions and ignorance surrounding Islam- through a Muslim Arab-American’s eyes.

    

I try not to give the literal event event of Nine-Eleven much thought, because I get emotional (also, anxiety). Instead, I think about the changes and effects of it globally, sometimes even the victims personally. In the U.S., Nine-Eleven scared lots of people (heck, everyone), but the thought that some decided to remain uneducated than simply absorbing the right stuff is disheartening. America labeled all women in hijabs and Middle Eastern men with beards as terrorists. Keep in mind, I was never here to see the before- I’m just an Arab boy living in America. I wasn't alive when the Twin Towers and The Pentagon were destroyed and only vaguely understand it... but somehow it’s supposed to define me? Because these so-called “Muslim” extremists who kill and terrorize “in the name of Allah” that’s what I’m seen as- because my mother wears a hijab, that’s how the world views me.
    

To answer your question simply, Nine-Eleven is seen in the naked eye as me- the “masterminds” behind it. Although, it’s more like a horrible occurrence from history that I wasn’t alive for and is sad to think about. It’s something that adds to my anxiety, especially on airplanes. However, it also means I must educate people who are too prideful to educate themselves. September eleven two-thousand one encourages me to haul myself and be better due to the horrid expectations I’m given and the representation Middle-Eastern people have.