Cruelty | Teen Ink

Cruelty

April 15, 2017
By Samantha243 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Samantha243 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can break my soul, take my life away, beat me, hurt me, kill me, but for the love of god don't touch him."


Words rip our skin from our bones, leaving only a skeleton of emotion. They tear us down only when we’re only just piecing together our shattered parts. Blow after blow renders us defenseless to the next wave of insults. There is no “stopping” a fight fought with words instead of fists. People may stop, but the words bury themselves in our souls, picking away at our kindness and compassion. Replacing it with bitterness and spite. The wounds heal with time, time to forget the words from a fight you don’t even remember the reason why it ignited.


However, you remember the harsh words said that day. The pain felt in your heart as each blow takes a piece of your soul is almost forgettable. Almost. As the memories of those spiteful words come back from the grave, pain strikes you in your least expecting moment. Suffocating you with memories seemingly set to rest years after the reparations.


Over time, the pain lessens, never truly going away. The pain from these words is constant. Constant crashing against the wall you built around yourself, threatening to tear your life away in one fell swoop. The pain stays, as long as those words are still being said.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this piece because of the events happening around me in my life. I hope people understand that the words they say hurt others. If you would like leave a comment or like to show me that my words do not go unseen. Thank you, I love you all. Have a nice day or night!