Entitlement | Teen Ink

Entitlement

Entitlement – is another word for suffering. The dictionary won’t describe it as this but the two – suffering and entitlement – come hand in hand. Someone has to feel done wrong by to feel entitled. Like, the world has treated you unfairly; something unjust has happened to you where you feel like you didn’t deserve it.

Everyone suffers at some point in his or her life. And although yes there are degrees of suffering, for some its falling ill, for others it’s loosing a pet, for some it’s being rejected by a boy, for others it’s having the love of your life killed in a fatal car crash. Either way it induces pain, sorrow or suffering. But this world is a cruel place, a place where these crimes of injustice are common. We all have hearts. Yet hearts are designed to be broken. Just observe the structure of a heart. It is made up by intertwined bits of muscle, flesh, arteries and ventricles, pumping and sustaining human life. It’s a pain creating device, for if two ways split, those details of your heart will be pulled upon, pulled apart, creating hurt. Heartstrings are real.

Life is numb. Yes, life is bleak. However people need to keep suffering and entitlement separate, because although they come together, one is something everyone experiences, the other is a choice, an exterior outcome of the first. It can be avoided if one steps outside themselves and acknowledges three things:

• The world is a crappy place.
• No one deserves it
• S*** happens to everybody

So I know you’re hurting, but still respect others and get off your entitled butt.

My late boyfriend inspired this piece, as I felt myself slipping into the drain of entitlement. 

Love you forever MK <3