Stop Judging People | Teen Ink

Stop Judging People

May 26, 2016
By catiekodada SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
catiekodada SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We all know that dorky kid of the grade, they’re the one who always will care for you. I mean sure they look dorky from the outside, but they have a true soul. A type of soul that is hard to find these days. They seem to not really be friends with the girls/ boys who are more “popular”. But have ten times a better sense of humor than the “pretty” girls/boys. These are reasons we shouldn’t judge, who is judging. and how the judged person feels.

Stated on the website called Tiny Bubbha, by Jarl Forsman in 2012 “ You are envious and resent the feelings that come up so you find something wrong with those who have what you want and end up judging them.”. People have their own issues with themselves. I know from being a girl, we aren’t always completely happy with ourselves. Girls can think “Well that girl is so skinny… I wish to be that skinny”. So they go on and saying something about the others weight. The sad part is that it seems that’s what happens practically everyday with girls. But nobody should just look at a person and decide to judge them. People just need to learn to love themselves for them. It isn’t a great feeling to want what others have but honestly it isn’t anything to get worked up over.

On the website called Tiny Bubbha by Martina Weiss in 2015 stated, “I used to judge people, especially men, when I learned that they had been unfaithful to their girlfriends. As soon as I learned about the situation, I would feel resistance and anger building up inside me. I would immediately begin insulting them in my head, and sometimes would actually verbalize it if there was someone to discuss it with.” So anyone will judge a person at some point. But not only women judge, men also judge people. Posted on The Broad Side by Deborah Cruz, 3 years ago, “Recently, film critic Rex Reed, took it upon himself to open fire on Melissa McCarthy. He was supposed to be reviewing her latest film Identity Thief but instead he was more focused on her weight. In his February 5 review in The New York Observer, Reed referred to McCarthy as “tractor-sized,” “a humongous creep” and a “female hippo.” Men can also be very rude when it comes to judging people.

Kveller has this article on how this young boy has very horrible ADHD. He also couldn't read people’s facial expressions. One part of the article said, “What are you saying?” I asked the doctor, clutching my husband’s hand. “Reading facial expressions is hard for your son,” he explained. “The nuances of social cues may be even harder.”. Now this young boy had gotten yelled at before by his parents, because he didn’t understand that he hurt this young girl’s feelings. But his parents didn’t know at that time he had a disability. The article goes on to saying that this mother is the disabled son, her friend calls her. Her friend says to the mother “Your son is so mean”. But little did that other lady know that the little boy didn’t understand. That lady was quick to judge that little boy without even knowing what’s going on with him.

Some of the people who judge others, they might have been judged by someone. It could have hurt them very badly, so the way that they start to feel better is by judging other people. A person could have judged them for something really stupid like their hair. So the person’s way of feeling better is by judging someone else appearance. “Well atleast I don’t dress like that girl ew.”

Personally for me when I’m being judged by a person or people, it kinda hurts my feelings. I feel like I’m too weird for society. Some people can get anxiety from being judged. On Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls by Alicia posted on June 2, 2015, “It’s 8AM and my heart’s racing. It’s that terrible, full-body sort of beat that makes your whole body shake and occasionally flutters from time to time from over-stimulation. For a second it almost feels like excitement, until the belly flips start, my face heats up, and my neck starts to hurt and I feel a little dizzy. My breathing’s heavy and my palms and scalp are starting to sweat for reasons unbeknownst to me.”. Anxiety makes you feel basically super nervous all the time. Just when they get excited about something very important to them, it just gets shot down in their mind. A girl could have gone shopping and bought this gorgeous new shirt she absolutely loves. As soon as she puts it on in the morning she feels upset and takes it off. She doesn’t want to be judged about it. Judging a person can make them so scared they can be afraid of being happy.

But there is also the other people who are being judged. The people that honestly don’t care if you like them or not. They have that “Like me for me” kind of attitude. Which is great that they can just go around being confident in themselves. On A Life on Your Own Terms by Liz said ”Whatever judgement is being passed on you has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the judge's opinion about what you should be like.” The judgers just want you make you be like them. And that’s why some people don’t let it bother them that people judge them. They are being their own individual. 

There is many different ways of talking about this subject but I only talked why judging people is wrong, who are the people to judge, and how the judged person feels. Judging is wrong on many levels, so why people do it is kind of confusing. Possibly hurting someone just because your opinion is different is not worth it. So we should just let people be them and leave them alone. So what if that dorky kid dresses a little different that you, she might have the nicest attitude towards life.