Same-Sex Marrige Rights | Teen Ink

Same-Sex Marrige Rights

By 1-800-ANATHEMA BRONZE, Inver Grove Heights , Minnesota
1-800-ANATHEMA BRONZE, Inver Grove Heights , Minnesota

I have always been a person who personally is affected by the subject of same sex marriage rights. I feel that if someone wanted to marry someone of the same gender it shouldn't even be worth a second glance. This problem has been affecting many people and where you are in this growing fad, is stuck in the past, if you believe that same sex, or gay marriage is not a right. Many people have gained their rights and I can't comprehend why you are not giving them what they truly deserve, because it is legal now.

Gay marriage bans are highly discriminatory. Gender shouldn't be an issue when it comes to weddings and ceremonies. Hendrik Hertzberg once said, "Marriage should be a spouse and a spouse not a gender and a gender." There are many people who are backing up this stance of equality in this marital dispute.

Same sex marriage obviously benefits the couple but it also benefits the court. According to infogr, gay marriage legalization lessens the divorce rate. Most couples get divorced because of certain reasons whether that be marital issues or family problems, but another large factor of divorce, is infertility, or children. Many couples strive to have the perfect family with a few children by their ankles, and smiles on their faces, but there are also problems behind that dream. Many men or women can be facing the fact that they are unable to have children, which can result in feuds. But same sex marriages don't exactly work like that, neither have to be fertile or would even be able to have children, which would lower the divorce rates.

That leads me into my next reason. Same sex marriages would lead to the wanting of the suburban lifestyle, which would end with a yearning for children. Many couples after marriage would want children, and since they wouldn't be able to have them themselves, they could adopt, which would help with the overpopulation and all of the children without homes or families, would finally get someone.

Another reason is the fact of gay marriage legalization would lessen the suicide rates in teens and young adults. A large factor of teen suicides, according to Wordpress, is their sexual orientation. Many people, especially in places where same sex marriage is illegal, face bullies and physical teasing for their sexuality, so showing that it’s normal to not be heterosexual or that it’s not wrong, by legalizing this, would definitely lower the rates of teen suicide.

Many people may argue that marriage is primarily for procreation and to populate the earth. Which it honestly is, but only 1 in 10 people are lgbt+ oriented. That means that 9 in 10 people aren’t, and I think that, that leaves enough babies for the rest of the couples. Same sex couples can also adopt, as I stated earlier. And adopting will decrease the number of homeless children.

Same sex marriage has many reasons why it should be legal everywhere, and I hope that you were able to take this letter into at least a little consideration when you are thinking of the laws against same sex marriage. I hope reading this maybe gave you a glimpse into the other side of this argument.

I wrote this for an English project and I believe I did this because I am extremely passionate about this.