What Happens Now? | Teen Ink

What Happens Now?

March 29, 2016
By ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
30 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I survived because the fire within me burned brighter than the fire around me."


America sits on its highest pedestal and argues on the topics consisting of what our candidates are saying, the fight for gender equality that has become a she said, the misogynist said debate, and many more mindless discussions happening upon this great pedestal. Where are the candidates on Syrian refugees? What is Hilary’s opinion on the men, women, and children dying of starvation and dehydration? What did Trump have to say when Brussels was hit by terrorists? When Paris fell, we lit up lights. What did the women fighting for equality have to say? What did people do? There are wars going on that make the war behind a podium seem insignificant. People are losing their homes, their children, their very lives to people who have become sickened on prolific ideals of their religion. Americans are sitting around complaining about how “if Trump wins I’m leaving the country!” but is there truly a better place to go? They would not venture beyond their homes because they have no knowledge of how to handle the warzones going on beyond the wall around our pedestal that we have created. Forget the wall to separate us from Mexico, let’s begin thinking about the wall we have put up in our mind to block out negatives we have been told do not affect us in our porcelain homes. We cannot stand behind our podiums forever, soon we must acknowledge that we are a target to those who want to watch the world fall since we have identified ourselves as one of the world super powers. Our ability to handle wars, death, tragedy has been proven through many events dating back to when we first began. We cannot face the problems that might plague our homes soon without the strong morale and abilities of the country as a whole. It is time to stop watching the next big mouth of politics ramble on about their abilities instead of what they are planning to change for this generation to make it better and begin doing what we can to alleviate the fear put in refugees by organizations like ISIL. We put so much thought into our military and tell each other the only solution is to send them but we are still in debt due to the many wars we did not need to fight but shoved our military into senselessly. This is the one time we should involve ourselves because not only is our country in danger, but every country is. They are in every major city, they know everything that is happening, they are ready to attack at any time with their children soldiers and their threats. We, as the American people, cannot continue to keep our walls up to this sort of violence. It is time for this generation to stand up and do something. It is time for us to stand up and find these people and take them down. We do not need to hear our possible leaders talking about free college, we need to hear them talk about how to handle terrorist organizations. We need to hear how they will protect this country and work with other countries to ensure no more incidents like Brussels, France, Syria, and the list goes on. We need to stop hiding behind computer screens; cursing people out for gender, for their opinions, for their sexuality, for their lifestyles, for their culture, etc. We need to start looking people in the eye, banding together, and being the generation of miracles for everyone in this country and other countries. We can be the brightest people if we so wish and we might be able to design a plan to take down organizations that threaten our freedom and liberties. Instead we spend our time not focused on making a difference but making people wish they weren’t alive, or cursing people out in other countries because of how they live. We could all create something worthwhile if we all just looked up from our computer and phone screens and looked out of our windows at the world before us. If we looked at the news and listened about these organizations instead of making a fuss over the candidate’s pasts. What will you do now? Will you stand up and make something of yourselves, or will you simply put that wall back up to divert your vision not on what is happening but what the most recent Caitlyn Jenner twitter post is or maybe what Trump said about women again? The option is yours but the time of choosing is slowly running out as these terrorists plan new attacks to make us all crumble when we need to stick together. It is no longer about being American Strong but about being Country wide Strong.  What happens now?