When to Walk Away | Teen Ink

When to Walk Away

By KatieKilljoy SILVER, Franklin, Tennessee
KatieKilljoy SILVER, Franklin, Tennessee

We've all had less than happy friendships, and sometimes people change for the worse. When relationships start going downhill, it's important to know when it's time to walk away.

Sure, some people are just going through a bad phase. They're irritable and upset which causes them to lash out but doesn't nessacarily make them a bad friend. Some situations just require supportive friends who tell the one lashing out that it's okay.

Another time that you don't have to always walk away is after a bad fight. Maybe it was a misunderstanding, or a sparked moment of anger? Don't let it ruin a friendship.

However, when someone is constantly trying to control you that is a definite sign to leave. You are your own person and if someone is trying to have authority over you then they are not really a friend.

Next, when someone is lying to you it's a red flag. Personally, I giv second chances but I don't ever trust this person again. They have gone and lied to me so, in my book, they're on the watchlist at best.

Another thing not to tolerate is a 'friiend' trying to make you feel down about yourself. Friends don't insult each other, or break each other down. If they d that, get rid of them immediatly! Especially if you've told them what they say upsets you and they do it again purposely.

If you start dating someone and they go after them, or act like they know the person better than you do (unless they have known the person for years and/or are related to them) you're most certainly allowed to be pissed. If the girl all of a sudden starts texting the person you're seeing this is a major issue as well. She is crossing her boundaries and letting it happen is idiotic on your end.

If she starts doing drugs or drinking, don't put up with it. Just because someone you know is going down a bad path doesn't mean you have to. You can still care for her but staying so close will cause you to be subjected to behavior that results in unpleasant situations.

And lastly if she is starting drama about every little thing, leave. If hanging out with a friend causes this friend to go off in a fit, or not talking to her everyday causes issues you ned to leave. If she wants to come over but you don't have time and she has a melt down, you should not have to put up with it.

Hope this helps.

Being a teenager sucks, but just hold on. It doesn't last forever.