Motivation | Teen Ink

Motivation

November 23, 2015
By MorseToad BRONZE, Great Falls, Virginia
MorseToad BRONZE, Great Falls, Virginia
4 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
Winston Churchill


Motivation is the general desire or willingness of someone to do something. Motivation is the drive that you initiate to strive towards something you want. For example, people will exercise daily because they want to stay fit.  Here, staying fit is the motivation, and it drives people to make effort and workout daily. However, Not only does most people lack motivation, but also they lack the push to follow through it.

Most people do not see the necessity of motivation. For example, if someone had great potential for dancing, and does not wanted to pursue it. She/he will not enjoy the dance and will not take the time to practice. She/he won’t be successful in dancing. If that person has the drive, the motivation, she/he will practice every day to become the best dancer that she/he could be. Therefore, this person would have a higher chance of becoming successful. Many real-life examples are similar to this concept.

A simple desire is not enough.  To motivate yourself, you need to set a series of measurable goals to strive for.  In a book ‘A Long Walk to Water’ (True story) the main character sets a goal for him-self when he crosses the dessert he thinks along the lines of, only to the rock, and then after I reach the rock, only to that cactus, after that cactus only to that…. With that motivation, and set objectives he was able to cross the scorching desert, something he nearly thought was going to be impossible. Not only should you set a goal for yourself, but also in most cases you should set it for something you enjoy.  For example, if you loved running, you could set a goal to run 5 miles each morning on the treadmill.

Your incentive is most potent when you are doing something that you love. If you are motivated to do an activity that you love then do one that you hate. The former would most likely have better results, if not then from an effort point of view. Motivation is easy to reach for some; you just need a little incentive and push.

To motivate yourself and achieve your goals, you need to pick something you love to do, set small measurable steps and reward yourself for each effort you make. Only then, you will be able to reach your goal and be successful.


The author's comments:

I belive that most young people lack to incentive or drive to achive their very best. I hope that this article can help others with that problem.