Either Lazy or Invincible or Both | Teen Ink

Either Lazy or Invincible or Both

August 22, 2015
By AnyaL BRONZE, Moraga, California
AnyaL BRONZE, Moraga, California
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

If you really think about it, most things in life that are of human invention are made to support human laziness or to get one step closer to human invincibility. Let’s go through the average day of a human being. So first you wake up probably to the sound of your alarm clock. Alarm clock. Made because people became too lazy to pay and rely on their knocker-ups (it was a real thing, look it up) so they needed a machine that would tell them when to wake up on time. Then you climb out of bed. Bed. Made because people didn’t want to sleep on the floor anymore so they created a comfortable mattress that would increase comfort, which would increase the amount of sleep one got, increasing one's health, therefore moving a step closer to invincibility. Then you walk into the kitchen and start toasting some bread for breakfast. Toaster. Made because people became too lazy to start a fire every time they needed to cook something so they made a machine that would require less human effort to acquire the same result, and in a safer way, another step closer to invincibility. Then you walk to the bathroom and switch on the lights. Lights… I think you get the point.

 

Of course there are exceptions to this theory as there are exceptions to everything in life. For example, you learn at a very early age from your teachers that the English language has many exceptions to its spelling and grammar “rules”. Similarly, my theory has a few holes in it, too, but that’s okay because it shows that there’s a way around everything and nothing is absolutely definite. For instance, most things that are related to sports don’t seem to conform to my theory. A swimsuit doesn’t really protect you from anything; you could go swimming naked in chlorine-water and it wouldn’t damage your health, dismissing the invincible point. Before swimsuits were invented, I imagine most people wouldn’t wear anything when they went swimming so by putting on a swimsuit, they’re actually adding an extra step in the process of getting ready to go swimming, which is the exact opposite of laziness. Skis don’t conform to my theory either. Think about it. But then again football helmets do reside in my theory as they are protection from skull fractures while playing the aggressive sport, supporting the invincible theory. An exception to the exception.


Anything related to medicine or improving health supports the “step to invincibility” point. Here’s one that’s kind of ironic: a treadmill. One could argue that a treadmill supports the opposite of laziness because it obviously requires physical activity. But if you think about it, it was invented because people became too lazy to actually go outside and run on the streets or drive to the gym. So they built an endless street machine right inside their house so they wouldn’t have to go anywhere to exercise. And by having easy access to an exercise machine, people are more likely to actually use it, therefore improving their health and getting one step closer to invincibility. See, it all works out.


There are so many things in our everyday lives that support my theory. To list a few more: cars (really any form of transportation), computers, stop signs, traffic lights, a toothbrush, toothpaste, a sink, houses, TVs, couches/sofas (any type of chair), tables, clocks/watches, etc.


I encourage all of you to go about your lives in search of human inventions that support laziness or invincibility because I guarantee you, the amount of things that you will find will truly amaze you. But at the same time, I also challenge you to find exceptions to my theory because proving someone wrong is always fun.


The author's comments:

I hope people will look around more instead of always being secluded in their own world like the majority of the population is, including me. But most of all, I hope people will wonder more about the world.