Life's Little Exchanges | Teen Ink

Life's Little Exchanges

By ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina
ISeeStars PLATINUM, Charlotte, North Carolina

"I survived because the fire within me burned brighter than the fire around me."

Life is full of so many challenges that face us so blatantly. That jump out at you and scare you into living in fear of everything around you. Life comes in the series of any emotion and sometimes some stick with us more than other; depression, anger, anxiety… These make us who we are in the simplest of terms. We carry around the emotions and the life events thrown out at us whether they ac as a butterfly that lands on your shoulder, a love letter that strikes deep within your heart, or sometimes it’s someone jumping out at you, screaming, flailing, and making you scream and cry.

We take every little lesson and experience life rewards us with close to heart. We latch onto the pain because it helps us grow. We latch onto the happiness because we don’t know how long it will last in this ever changing world we live it. We keep close what makes us impeccably human because those who fail to experience such delights of emotions are considered sociopaths or strangers. People who experience too much are those with mental illnesses; they receive too much of an emptions and the latch is so strong their need turns into a monster that suffocates them into submission of the emotion.

Mental illnesses are fearful; they are the person that jumps put at you with no warning and leaves you sobbing all alone in a dark spot. That person uses your worst fears and takes you to the worst place in your mind and heart because they wants you to only feel what they make you feel. You are a captive like any normal day animal. You’re caged deep within your own heart and thoughts create this glass house around you so no more of life’s terrible lessons may reach you and teach you how to live properly. You can’t get out and you suffocate in the chosen emotion that has attacked you so violently.

The biggest problem in America society today is the strict degrade of mental illnesses. It’s like you’re sick with disease and no one wishes to get near you. It’s a sickening but truthful view upon mental illnesses. Thought, some glamorize the illnesses as romantic in a strange sense.

We need to stop the stigma when mental illnesses, which are serious health problems, arise. We need to stop glamourizing and romanticizing something so sad and heartbreaking. If you had a loved one with mental illnesses, would you avoid them, help them, or would you simply say it’s a “phase” or “romantic” what they are doing to their mind and body? Ask yourself that question and find what answer you would truly arise to should the situation ever occur.

For those who have never experienced such; good. You wouldn’t want to. It’s sometimes better to not know or understand the situation at hand. Be young, be happy, and help others when they ask you for it… You may be saving someone’s life without even realizing it. If you see someone getting bullied, stand up to the bully or pull the person away. This may be one of those lessons Life is giving you and it’s trying to teach you to stop waiting for a hero and to become one instead.

Life rewards us with mysterious gifts we often call karma, emotions, miracles, birth, and so many more names follow the word. Become a gift to someone. Be a gift to someone. Whatever you do, never become the one scaring them into silence and solitude because you may be next.

Maybe it's time we stop waiting for life to happen and do what we're meant for. Maybe It's time we try and save others that hardly anyone knows needs saving.