Staying Connected with the World | Teen Ink

Staying Connected with the World

By Tiffany Chou BRONZE, San Marino, California
Tiffany Chou BRONZE, San Marino, California

Language is how we communicate. It is how we share our thoughts and feelings to one another. It is how we stay connected. Our modern world is full of different, elaborate languages, and we are fortunate enough to be able to learn them in school; however, the required foreign language programs in high school are declining. Some suggest that this indicates the rise of English as the accepted worldwide language. Nevertheless, foreign languages should be given greater support in high school in the United States since they widen our perspective of the world.

While learning a language, students gain global understanding. They learn the culture and the history of the country and are able to interact with people from different nations. For instance, if an American visited France after having learned French, they would be able to appreciate the country so much more because they know the past of the country and can break the language barrier that incarcerate many tourists. Most people are much friendlier to those that are able to speak their primary language, connecting with them since they have an extensive range of vocabulary. They are able to hold an intelligent, thoughtful conversation rather than an awkward, single-syllable encounter with lots of nodding or head shaking. In fact, they will appreciate any attempt with their native language and have much more respect for those that try. Additionally, if people really wanted to immerse themselves into the culture, a clear grasp of the language would enable them to travel without an over-commercialized tour group and see the true country for themselves.

Although it may not seem true, learning a new language can help improve upon our native language. Students receive a better understanding of their own language after seeing it from another perspective. They connect the two languages interchangeably and comprehend lessons better. A grammar lesson, for example, could be learned two different ways. Often students are able to interpret new material better if they see it from two different points of views. Listening skills and vocabulary are enhanced when learning a new language, which in turn progresses our native language. Seeing one’s country from another country’s perspective also increases one’s self-awareness. For example, learning a third world country’s language would make a person appreciate life so much more. One is able to realize how blessed they are to have a healthy life in a safe community with loving family members and a good education after they see how poor the conditions are in third world countries. They hold everything in a higher value if they have seen what rock-bottom is like.

Foreign languages are crucial to our survival. Because they expand our worldwide recognition and strengthen our first languages, high schools need to continue and improve upon their foreign languages program. Without it, the modern world would slowly drift apart. Languages are memories and cultures; each word holds a special significant meaning with its own unique history. If we decide to form one common language, all of these other extraordinary languages would gradually disappear, just like when the numerous diverse tribes of Native Americans lost their cultures and traditions when Europeans arrived and tried to force assimilation to their one dominant lifestyle. History will repeat itself, and we cannot let that happen because if we have learned anything from history, it is that we must learn from the past in order to improve the future. 

Marielle 11 said...
on Sep. 30 2016 at 5:40 am
Great essay!!You have potencial!!