Nuclear Meltdown | Teen Ink

Nuclear Meltdown

July 15, 2015
By carpar22 SILVER, Westlake, Ohio
carpar22 SILVER, Westlake, Ohio
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What happened to the nuclear family? Two parents, two children, perfect family. The splintering to halves and steps and exes. A complete nuclear meltdown. What was wrong with perfection? Blue collar. White collar. Mothers in dresses under aprons, pulling pies from the oven with radiant smiles upon their face. Children obedient and humble, learning lessons from a stern look. What is the freedom to choose the life you want if perfection must be sacrificed? How can one forego the husband with the blustery smile and expanding stomach, equal parts Stella Artois and Mother's pies? How can the children give up the obedient mother and wife who puts dinner on the table, hiding the stink of sour love behind the aroma of fresh chocalate chip cookies? Those perfect children who smoke pot in their childhood treefort to escape the vicious words tossed heedlessly between the perfect parents. That romantic whisper that makes movie goers' hearts melt, holds an insipid remark that would bring a less hardened woman to her knees. But perfection is maintained. A rotting apple can still occupy its spot in the fruit bowl. The nuclear family can endure. So why do people insist on exposing the imperfections? Isn't the image of perfection enough for complete happiness? But Chernobyl didn't happen overnight and eventually something had to break. And now, in the desolation of all the 'normal' people fleeing, the two headed rats are free to roam as they wish. The judgment and fear of those still living in their nuclear perfection is not enough for the rats to ever wish again for a single head. For to have two heads and a happy life is more than they ever had with one. Don't let the apparent ease of a life of nuclear energy distract you from the reality of 5 mile island, Chernobyl, Hiroshima, Nagisaki. What happened to the nuclear family? A complete nuclear meltdown. Heres to a world of two headed rats.


The author's comments:

People often describe complicated families as "broken" without seeing the beauty that has sprung from the brokenness and many deny the problems that staying in a loveless relationship creates. These problems often occur behind closed doors and so a family that seems perfectly put together could be anything but.