The Old Philosophy's Modern Requirement | Teen Ink

The Old Philosophy's Modern Requirement

April 24, 2015
By sammyj2 BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
sammyj2 BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ethics and morals form the basis of human civilization. An individual is defined primarily by the virtues he/she possesses. Our values segregate us from mere animals, and add an irreplaceable essence to our lives. In recent times, the retention of basic age old virtues such as those of respect for elders, honesty, compassion, accountability, etc in people has become a rare sight. Materialism and selfishness have become unfavorably common due to a severe deviation in the sacred moral compass installed within each individual. We have begun to measure success in terms of fame and happiness in terms of luxury we can afford. The true and genuine essence of these emotions is lost in today's fast paced lives.


Speaking from a teenager's point of view, I see my friends and acquaintances considering it acceptable to treat their elders with disrespect. Being 'rebellious' is labeled as "cool". The future of our nation and ultimately the world lies in hands of my generation. These hands can only bear this heavy responsibility provided they are strengthened by doses of morality. Decision making skills and the quality of life is tremendously improved by the existence of a moral code of conduct in society. The increasing immorality is resulting in a loss of discipline. Humanity is presently carelessly treading a dangerous path to becoming savage and barbaric like the Neanderthals of the stone age, all development and progress will result in futility if redemption isn't prioritized.


Scientific discoveries and material progress is meaningless if the Human race is unable to achieve inner satisfaction and happiness, which can solely be achieved through alterations in our moral priorities and treatment of others. Basic values and virtues must be instilled in our characters before it's too late to revert. The set of morals an individual possesses can either make or break him/her, therefore to ensure a bright future one must improve on their present self. With each passing generation the achievement of true contentment is becoming a tougher task, our elders' simple philosophy of practicing the portrayal of certain emotions like reverence, compassion, etc made their lives complete in all aspects. It's time to preach "Out with the new and in with the old" when it comes to our ethics; It's time embellish our lives with the jewels whose value exceeds beyond the purchasing power.