Stereotypes Fashion | Teen Ink

Stereotypes Fashion

April 17, 2015
By emily bocanegra BRONZE, Houston, Texas
emily bocanegra BRONZE, Houston, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Throughout time, fashions stereotypes have been created, each having their own name. By looking at someone’s clothings, instantly a word pops into your head. This is called fashion stereotypes. Some examples of stereotypes fashion are emo, hippie, tomboys, girly and greaser. The emo stereotype could apply for people who wear shirts of older bands, skinny jeans, combat boots and a lot of dark or vampy accessories. They can also be seen dressed in all black from head to toe. The stereotype for being a hippie has been in existence since the 70’s. One perfect example of this is the guitar legend, Jimi Hendrix. Jimi Hendrix was known for wearing lively colors along with certain articles of clothings. Some of the articles of clothing that he wore were headbands, fringe styled shirts, bell bottom jeans and boots. Many hippies are also known for wearing bright tie-dyed clothes with peace signs. Another commonly seen stereotype is the tomboy; girls that dress manly. These girls are seen wearing loose fitting pants and shirts. They also are seen with shorter haircuts. The girls like to wear short skirts, a lot of jewelry and high heels. The last stereotype was used back then, when guys felt cool. They are called greaser. The term greaser first came to be in the 1950s and were showcased throughout the years in movies such as “Grease”. Greasers like to wear slicked back hair with leather jackets, chuck taylors, and cuffed jeans. Because stereotypes are getting to be more common, I interviewed a young lady named Stephanie on her opinions on stereotypes. I asked her the final question, “how do you feel about people stereotyping you?” Stephanie took a minute to think about it. She then gave the greatest answer, “I don’t care about what people think about me.”