Two Words, Two Meanings, One Goal | Teen Ink

Two Words, Two Meanings, One Goal

April 17, 2015
By Anonymous

“Good enough”, what you put in front of it changes its meaning.  You could live in the highest tower in the tallest kingdom and still never be “good enough” for someone.   You could live in a shack where you have to scavenge for food and shelter.   In `this case, your family thinks you are “good enough”.   These two words can also be known for laziness and/or satisfactory.   You use “good enough” when you just finished something that you only put minimal effort into.   You used “good enough” to put the stress behind you.   You are “good enough” to be what you are.   Perfection is not real, and “good enough” is the closest we’ll ever get. 

 

These are words you usually hear in the girl’s dressing room:


“Hold still.”
“Suck it in.”
“Are you almost done?”
“Oh my goodness, you look so drab!”
“Take it off and put this one on.”
“Do you think he’ll like it?”
“I love this!  Never mind that price is too much!”


No matter how many trends you are follow, nobody is ever satisfied because we still are not “good enough” for society.   “Good enough” is perfection.   Perfection is abnormal.   Abnormal is weird.   Weird is bad.   So now what?  Perfection is made out to be what everyone should be.   The media says you shouldn’t settle with yourself.  Always better yourself with this new product or this new style.   I don’t want to be new.


“Man up.”
“Don’t be a panzy.”
“Get over yourself.” 
“Work out more.”
“You work out too much.”
Boys and men hear sayings like this every day.   Is it so wrong to be a little weird?  Should you really succumb to peer pressure?   It seems like nowadays in order for someone to like you, you have to be like the way they wish they could be.   Why is being yourself so bad?


People criticize each other all the time.   We are so used to the harsh meanings of perfection, greatness, and being remembered that we are now accustomed to them as good goals or things we should become you are becoming a thing.   My definition of the perfect human is a Barbie doll.


You are beautiful.   You can do anything if you put your mind to it.   You’ve probably already heard; “All you have to do is believe” and in a sort, it is true.   If you can’t believe in yourself then there is no point in trying.   It’s sometimes hard to get the courage in yourself to believe in what you are doing is right.   Once you believe you can do it then a greater probability of greater things.
No matter what people say about you, you will always be just the way you are.


Try hard.   Do your best.   “Mistakes are proof of trying,” you can’t be perfect with everything you do, but in order to gain experience to be better next time around.   Trying a new thing is sometimes the hardest thing you do in your life.   You try new things every day, with or without you even knowing it.   I bet most of you do not eat the same dinner every night, watch the same show, or do the same activity after work  every time.   You always hear about that someone trying too hard which made them fail.   I don’t believe that’s always true unless that someone went too far and was destroying themselves in the process of succeeding.  


We don’t always realize words hurt.   Sometimes they are the very words we say every day that hurt the people around us the most.   Sometimes we say things that we do not necessarily truthfully mean.  

 

Sometimes we may say things in a joking manner that others may take it offensive, thus we sometimes get into situations where we do not think about how the other person may feel, “put yourself in their shoes” is a great saying to follow because it’s a way to rethink about the situation that you or they are in.   You don’t always know about their living situation or how they are living.   You should watch what you say, of course metaphorically because words take no physical form that our human eyes can see.


Two words, two meanings, one goal.  Being good enough is how you started your life.  I believe good enough is satisfactory towards the better you. What you work for is what you get.  Sometimes people settle for good enough as in minimal amount of work, but the work they put in was something that they could have done better.   What does it take to deserve better? Is it staying up all night to get the job done?  Is it sacrifice certain things you want or need so others can get what they want or need?


The author's comments:

In elementary and the first couple years of middle school I was unfortunately bullied   I wrote this piece to share that “perfection” is not a label to go by.