State of Myths: Iraqi Television Series that Mocks the Islamic State | Teen Ink

State of Myths: Iraqi Television Series that Mocks the Islamic State

By yaboykade PLATINUM, New Carlisle, Indiana
yaboykade PLATINUM, New Carlisle, Indiana

"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." --John Lennon

Comedy can be a substantially useful tool to help bring about political change. In Iraq, a comedy television series entitled, "State of Myths” satirizes the Islamic State’s misleading propaganda. With $750,000 for production, the show released their pilot in late September 2014. 35% of the Iraqi population were estimated to have watched the first episode, and they have since released 30 episodes. This brilliant use of comedy and political satire helps the Iraqi people seek comedic relief amidst the utter turmoil that is occurring in their country.

“State of Myths” is about a drunken villager of a fictional Iraqi town who just joined the Islamic State. In an act of sheer hypocrisy, he persecutes those who consume alcohol. Because there is little known about the leader of ISIS, the show develops their own depiction of Abu Omar Al Baghdadi. The third leading character is Al Baghdadi’s right hand man, a dwarf who can’t seem to do anything right. Writer Thaer Al-Hasnawi said of the characters, “We changed these [terrifying] characters into comic and ironic ones."  The creators of the show have voiced their intentions as being more than just a comedy. Their goal is to provide laughs for the Iraqi people, and bring about political change. The show’s writer, Thaer Al-Hasnawi claims “Making people laugh at ISIS will help to cast their fears away.” Their use of mockery shows that the Islamic State’s policies and intentions truly stem from an ignorant foundation.

The Islamic State holds a strong presence in Iraq. The group is infamous for its beheadings and harsh treatment for those they capture. Though the actors and screenwriters of this show provide a great service to their country, they risk their lives every time an episode is released. Because of this fact, many of them remain anonymous. So far, there has been no incidents of violent acts toward any of the show’s actors or writers. It is unfortunate that these people who wish to bring about change in the war-torn state, cannot be recognized for their work.

The show sheds light on the dire interpretation of Islam that ISIS practices. For instance due to ISIS policies, the grocer in the local village cannot mix the masculine or feminine Arabic words for his vegetables. This mocks the stupidities of the technicalities that the Islamic State sets forth. The television series also shows Al Baghdadi hatching from an egg, an attempt to jab at the ISIS members’ ignorance.

“State of Myths” through its use of mockery belittles the Islamic State. The show helps people who may have fallen under the convincing of the Islamic State. In addition, it serves simply as a form of humor in a country that so desperately needs it. The television series has become widely popular in Iraq, and is now being televised in other countries as well. For “State of Myths” laughter is the best medicine, and they hope that eventually a cure can be developed for the violence and suffering of their country.