Anything Works if You Let It | Teen Ink

Anything Works if You Let It

By Keepcalmandarrowon BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Keepcalmandarrowon BRONZE, Cupertino, California

"Don't hate, appreciate."

In an ocean of darkness, the city lights twinkled as bright as the stars did in the sky. The moon sparkled. It’s light, silver and silky, shone over me gently. I felt so free here. A freedom no one could feel from down in the city - they were too lost in the society of today. They were too worried about whether they chose the right dress, or worried that a character in a T.V. show was going to die. But I wasn’t. In this moment, none of that stuff mattered to me. My mind was as clear as the night sky about what really mattered. And that wasn’t what people think of me. What matters is anything. Everything. People say, “life is made up of moments,” or, “life is made up of choices.” Those are only two parts that make up your life. Life is made up of so much more. It’s made up of millions of moments, and millions of choices, and millions of other things. The journey, the destination, love. Life is so much. There are so many things that keep me going. The few good moments of pure joy I get after a bad day. The beauty I’m encompassed in at this mountain is so breathtaking, that I know when I’m out of breath after working so hard, it’s just another reminder that the world, and life is beautiful. The choice to come up here and experience this beauty. The journey that made me feel accomplished when I got to the top of this hike. The reward of the destination. So when you feel sad, look at one thing that reminds you that the sadness and ache will wash away.  Think of the beauty in it. Think of the journey you took to get that object, or that object took getting to you. Think of where you’ve ended up. Believe that things will get better. The harder the journey, the better the destination. If you’re not where most people are it’s okay. Most of the greats weren’t. They got where they are/were because they worked hard. Choose to be happy. Do it despite how you feel, because life is not just moments or just choices or just beauty. It’s so many things - anything. So in that sadness, find just one thing that makes you happy or want to push harder and further. That’s what actually matters - not my hair.