6AM Thoughts | Teen Ink

6AM Thoughts

By chickenugget BRONZE, Cupertino, California
chickenugget BRONZE, Cupertino, California

The clock reads 6:47. Last nights apprehension is still lingering in the air. It is fogging up and suffocating me. I fling off my blanket and stand up as fast as I can. Already I can feel my sanity returning. I drag myself to the kitchen and snatch two bottles of whiskey, one being half empty from last night. My slippers creek with every step as I make my way up the ladder. I ascend up the bricks and sit down, hugging my knees to my chest.  The morning air slaps my face like a wet tissue and seeps into the sleeves of my pajamas. I pick up last nights beer and gulp down the rest. Strangely the beer rushes warm down my throat and the sticky familiarity brings me relief. I squint my eyes at the New York cityscape. The jagged buildings poke through the waxy yellow skyline. The sun is just rising and the familiar smell of coffee and construction tickle my nose. For a second I almost smile. Gulping down another beer, I stretch out my legs and just let it dangle there. With my slippers hovering over the city, I let the smell of coffee and construction wash over and cleanse me.

This is a small set piece that gives a glimpse into the life of an un-nerved alcoholic and how he learns to find inner peace. This project is meant to illustrate how the little simple things in life like a sunrise can spark hope in someone. By forming a new perspective on life it can help you begin again.