Mr. Edward Procastination

I'm sure we're all good friends of Mr. Edward Procrastination, and although he's a true b****, he seems like a good time while you're in the act of “doing” him (tisk tisk). What's the point of procrastinating? You're gonna have to do all the work anyway, but by checking your Facebook account every minute, stalking the new hottie at school, and texting your whole phonebook, it'll take you about a century longer to finish. I'm writing like I don't procrastinate either, but trust me, I'm the champion procrastinator (perhaps I'm married to Mr. Eddie P?). Funny thing is, as I'm writing this sentence, (riiiight about now) I'm also checking my Facebook and messaging my best friend about blogging. But at least I'm on topic! See how the brain works? Justifications don't fly in my book. Whether you're talking about the last movie you saw or about last week's homily at church, you're still lengthening the time it'll take you to finish the task-at-hand. I'm not here to preach and prove a million points about why procrastination is on par with the devil, I'm just here to discuss the motives and the intricacies of the act.

So let's begin for real. Let's say that two weeks before the actual due date you are assigned a five page paper. My guess is that most people will wait until the last night to get started, and then freak out at 3 AM when they're finally starting to wonder why they didn't start sooner. Even after this realization, people will repeat the same cycle just weeks later and be left with the same sleepless and stressful experience. This goes to show how people work in repetition, and even after learning their lesson the “hard way”, they'll still make the same mistake. I'm one of those people. One (not-so-easy) way to break this habit is to plan ahead, and put in little amounts of work each day leading up to the due date. Maybe by making a schedule about everything that needs to be done (in this case, writing a draft, editing, letting someone else read it and editing yet again, then printing the final copy), you'll get a grip on what really needs to get accomplished. Trying to cram all those steps into one is not a smart move, and it can end up getting you in quite a bit of trouble.