Is it Better to Fit in or Stand out? | Teen Ink

Is it Better to Fit in or Stand out?

By Sweetsoulsearching PLATINUM, Frisco, Texas
Sweetsoulsearching PLATINUM, Frisco, Texas

What is the use of a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?
[Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)

“Extraordinary: Adj : 1. Beyond what is ordinary or usual… 3. Employed or used for a special service.” Being extraordinary is seen as lying beyond the spectrum of conformity; and while conforming to societal norms can be done on purpose, is is often overwritten with our own personalities. And often the ability to purposefully stand out is what separates the extraordinary from the extra-ordinary in our collective community.

In 4H, (a future farmers program) when competing with livestock you need to stick the the rules and standards while simultaneously standing out through the quality of your animal. When applying for a job, you need to stand out from the other applicants while still sticking to the basic criteria that is required for the job. Presenting yourself in an extraordinarily extra-ordinary manner is what can make-or-break how you are viewed.

Our society is built on different almost being synonymous with bad, or unworthy. All-be-it a dysfunctional way of life, but the functionality of our societal system is not on the top of “things to fix”. But with so many teens realizing this and being extraordinary on their own terms, are simultaneously rewriting what conformity as a concept is.

So whether it be you prefer fitting in or being a redefiner of normal yourself, we can all find a way to be ourselves and extraordinarily extra-ordinary on our own terms.

An essay I wrote for class, i'm really passionate about this topic.